The WSET® Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits qualification is intended for those who have little or no previous knowledge of wines and spirits. It is suitable wherever a sound but simple level of wine knowledge is required to underpin job skills and competences, for example, in the customer service and sales functions of the hospitality, retailing and wholesaling industries. It is also useful for those who have a general interest in the subject.
Overview: An 8 week wine course leading to internationally recognised Wine & Spirit Education Trust WSET® Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits, on successful completion of a multiple choice exam on the 9th week.
Learning outcomes: Holders of the WSET® Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits will be able to interpret the labels of the major wines and spirits of the world and give basic guidance on appropriate selection and service, as well as understand the principles of wine tasting and evaluation.
This course suits:
- Wine enthusiasts who wish to acquire knowledge of wines & spirits and want to obtain an internationally-recognised qualification.
- People employed in the drinks and hospitality sectors with little previous knowledge of alcoholic beverages.
Entry requirements: No prior knowledge is necessary. Candidates should be over 18 years of age to taste wine. (However, this is not a barrier to successful completion of this course).
Course content - download the Specification.
Core Unit Unit 1: Wines and Spirits of the World
1.1 Factors influencing style
1.2 Grape varieties
1.3 Key wine-producing regions of the world
1.4 Sparkling wines
1.5 Sweet wines and fortified wines
1.6 Spirits and liqueurs
1.7 Information and advice for customers and staff
1.8 Describing the characteristics of the principal wines of the world.
Qualification: Qualification is based on passing a paper of 50 multiple-choice questions.
This qualification is accredited at Level 4 in the National Framework Qualification of Ireland, and is recognised as such by the National Qualifications Authority of Ireland.
Cost: €440. Cost includes tuition, wines, full study pack, exam fee, set of DOC tasting glasses. Also included is access to a full set of Quizlet-based revision questions.
Dates & Timing: I’ve added 6 week and 2 day intensive courses, ideal for time-pressed, or people based outside Dublin. Obviously these are more intensive, so try to choose the course which best optimises your schedule & ability. Evening courses start at 6.30 or 7pm – see below.
Next scheduled courses:
- Intensive 2-day course, 10-5pm, on Monday 18th July & Monday 8th Aug. Exam on Mon 22nd Aug (1 hour in the evening).
- Wed 21st Sept 2016, 7-9pm, for 8 consecutive weeks. Exam on Wed Nov 16th @7pm.
- Monday 17th Oct 2016, 6.30-9pm, for 6 consecutive weeks (skipping Oct 31st). Exam on Mon 28th Nov @7pm.
- Tues 7th Feb 2017, 7-9pm, for 8 consecutive weeks. Exam on Tues Apr 4th @7pm.
- Wed 22nd March 2017, 6.30-9pm, for 6 weeks. Exam on Wed 3rd May, 7pm.
Distance learning: Premier Wine Training offers a distance learning wine course for those who find it difficult to attend a series of classes.
Next level up: WSET Level 3 Award in Wines. (It is recommended, although not mandatory, that candidates should already be at WSET Level 2 standard of knowledge).
Please use the contact form below to get in touch, or request the Terms & Conditions. Alternatively, call me on 086 240 1916.