The WSET® Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits qualification is intended for those who have little or no previous knowledge of wines and spirits. It is suitable wherever a sound but simple level of wine knowledge is required to underpin job skills and competences, for example, in the customer service and sales functions of the hospitality, retailing and wholesaling industries. It is also useful for those who have a general interest in the subject.
Overview: A wine & spirits course leading to internationally recognised Wine & Spirit Education Trust WSET® Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits, on successful completion of a multiple choice exam.
Learning outcomes: Holders of the WSET® Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits will be able to interpret the labels of the major wines and spirits of the world and give basic guidance on appropriate selection and service, as well as understand the principles of wine tasting and evaluation.
This wine course suits:
- Wine enthusiasts who wish to acquire knowledge of wines & spirits and want to obtain an internationally-recognised qualification.
- People employed in the drinks and hospitality sectors with little previous knowledge of alcoholic beverages.
Entry requirements: No prior knowledge is necessary. Candidates should be over 18 years of age to taste wine. (However, this is not a barrier to successful completion of this course).
Course content - The total study time (ie. classroom & private study) is 28 hours. For full course details, download the Specification.
Core Unit Unit 1: Wines and Spirits of the World
1.1 Factors influencing style
1.2 Grape varieties
1.3 Key wine-producing regions of the world
1.4 Sparkling wines
1.5 Sweet wines and fortified wines
1.6 Spirits and liqueurs
1.7 Information and advice for customers and staff
1.8 Describing the characteristics of the principal wines of the world.
Qualification: Qualification is based on passing a paper of 50 multiple-choice questions.
This qualification is accredited at Level 4 in the National Framework Qualification of Ireland, and is recognised as such by the National Qualifications Authority of Ireland.
Venue: The four-star Clarence Hotel, Wellington Quay, Dublin 2; a 7-9 minute walk from O’Connell Bridge/Grafton St.
Transport: Convenient for all buses which pass through Dame St./ Georges St./Westmoreland St. (14, 15, 15a,b,d 69, 79, 123, 140, 142, 150, ). 4 min. walk from Jervis Luas stop, 7 minute walk from Westmoreland Luas stop. Nearest car park: Jervis St., a 4 min walk.
Cost: €450. Cost includes tuition, wines, full study pack, exam fee, set of DOC tasting glasses. Also included is access to a full set of Quizlet-based revision questions.
Dates & Timing: I’ve added a 6 week and 2 day intensive courses, ideal for time-pressed, or people based outside Dublin. Obviously these are more intensive, so try to choose the course which optimises your schedule & ability. Evening courses start at 6.30 or 7pm – see below.
Next scheduled courses:
- 2-DAY INTENSIVE: Monday, 23rd & 30th July – subject to demand. 10-5 on both days. 1 hour exam on Wed 15th Aug at 7pm. (Note that this is an intensive course; best suited to time-pressed or those travelling long distances).
- Mon 24th Sept 2018, 7-9pm, for 7 weeks (skipping bank Holiday on 29th Oct). Exam on Mon 19th Nov @7pm.
- Wed 24th Oct 2018, 6.30-9pm for 6 consecutive weeks. Exam on Wed 5th Dec, 7pm.
- Mon 5th Nov & 12th Nov 2018 – 2-DAY INTENSIVE- subject to demand. 10-5 on both days. 1 hour exam on Mon 19th Nov at 7pm. (Note that this is an intensive course; best suited to time-pressed or those travelling long distances).
How to book: places on all courses are limited, and therefore offered on a first-paid basis. Payment is required in order to secure a place. You can book online, using Paypal button, below. If you’d like to pay by a different method, please get in touch, using the contact form, below.
Distance learning: Premier Wine Training offers a distance learning wine course for those who find it difficult to attend a series of classes.
Next level up: WSET Level 3 Award in Wines. (It is recommended, although not mandatory, that candidates should already be at WSET Level 2 standard of knowledge).
Please use the contact form below to get in touch, or request the Terms & Conditions. Alternatively, call me on 086 240 1916.