The Superquinn French Wine Sale has become annual event to look forward to. From January to May, Superquinn senior wine buyer Richard Moriarty spends every Friday wine tasting. Only one in ten samples will end up on Superquinn shelves. Richard says there is “huge value” to be had, “but you have to go out and find it.”
If you need wine advice, and live near their Blackrock (Dublin) store, then Killian Clarke is on hand to help with wine recommendations.
I was fortunate enough to attend a wine tasting of all the range. Here are the top picks, with very brief tasting notes. The Superquinn French Wine Sale runs from October 3rd to 23rd.
- Rare Vineyards Marsanne Viognier 2011 Was €10.99, now €6. Floral & aromatic, crisp but not acidic. A very pleasant glass for the price.
- Rare Vineyards Ugni Blanc Vieilles Vignes 2011 Was €10.99, now €6. More earthy than fruity, classic French ‘house wine’ style.
- Château Lorgeril Viognier 2011 Was €9.99, now €7. Richly textured, with apricot, peach and lifted citrus.
- Charles Vienot Grenache Sauvignon Marsanne 2011 Was €9.99, now €7. Distinctive lemony waxy flavours, generous mouthfeel.
- Domaine Astruc Vermentino 2011 Was €10.99, now €7. Aromatic, minerally, flinty, lemony.
- Corsican Nature Muscat 2009 Was €12.99, now €8. Medium sweet, floral and lemon character.
- Domaine des Grandes Esperances Touraine Sauvignon Blanc 2011 was €10.99, now €8. Pungent cut nettles, fresh lime & minerals.
- Cloteaux de Gennois Sauvignon Blanc 2011 Was €11.99, now €9. Zippy with lovely leafy character, with some hints of rose petal & spice.
- Bersan Sauvignon Saint-Bris 2010 Was €12.99, now €10. Fresh, elegant, minerally, herbal character with lengthy finish.
- Crozes Hermiate Blanc Etienne Barret 2011 Was €14.99 now €11. White pepper and herbal flavour. Classy; deliciously long finish.
- Rully, Château de Rully Blanc 2009, was €17.99, now €12. Delicious toasty broad style, with hazelnuts and candied lemon.
- SQ Sancerre 2010 Was €17.49 now €13. Unusually slightly perfumed style with lively lemons and minerality. Lengthy finish.
- Pouilly Fuissé Dom. du Roure de Paulin 2011 Was €18.99, now €14. Intense buttery, spicy, rich style. Great food wine.
- Puligny Montrachet Ropiteau 2009 Was €50, now €35. Complex butterscotch, vanilla, toast, baked lemon, cloves. Rich & satisfying.
- Domaine Astruc Syrah Viognier 2011 Was €10.99, now €7. Brambly spicy warm alcohol, medium body.
- Langue Dog Grenache Shiraz 2010 Was €10.99, now €8. Warm & spicy, with black fruit, medium tannins & body.
- Domaine des Grandes Esperances Gamay Malbec 2010. Was €10.99, now €8. Juicy, fragrant, light style with raspberry and cherry character.
- Château Lorgeril St. Chinan 2011 Was €12.99, now €8. Very juicy black fruity, with intense alcohol & spice. Lengthy fruity finish.
- Château Lorgeril Cabardès 2008, was €11.99, now €9. Inky dark fruit, slightly smoky, and definitely spicy and oaky.
- Ch. Camplazens Marselan 2011, was €13.99, now €10. Delicious and distinctive warming spice and fruit character, with firm tannins.
- Coteaux Bourguignons Pinot Noir, Bouchard Aine et Fils 2011, was €14.99, now €10. Elegant, medium bodied, perfumed, red fruits.
- Château Sissan Grande Reserve 2009 Was €24.49, now €12. Medium bodied, with firm structure and intense vanilla character.
- SQ Sancerre Rouge 2010, was €17.49, now €13 Fragrant raspberry fruit, with light tannins.
- Pommard 1er Cru, Bouchard Aine et Fils, 2009 Was €50, now €35. Silky perfumed classy elegant wine.
- Haut Medoc de Giscours 2009 magnum at €35 (was €50). Structured, firm and full-bodied, with graphite to the fore.
- Chapoutier Côte-Rotie ‘Les Micas’ 2009 was €50, now €35. Intense perfumed wine with complex floral, fruit, pepper, oak and amazing length.
- Domaine Cristia Hermitage Rouge 2011. Was €50 now €35. Complex: violets, dark plums, earthy, perfumed, sweet spice, herbal and peppery.