The WSET® Level 2 Award in Wines qualification is intended for those who have little or no previous knowledge of wines. It is suitable wherever a sound but simple level of wine knowledge is required to underpin job skills and competences, for example, in the customer service and sales functions of the hospitality, retailing and wholesaling industries. It is also useful for those who have a general interest in the subject.
Overview: A wine course leading to internationally recognised Wine & Spirit Education Trust WSET® Level 2 Award in Wines, on successful completion of a multiple choice exam.
Qualification aims: Holders of the WSET® Level 2 Award in Wines will be able to interpret the labels of the major wines of the world and give basic guidance on appropriate selection and service, as well as understand the principles of wine tasting and evaluation.
This wine course suits:
- Wine enthusiasts who wish to acquire knowledge of wines and want to obtain an internationally-recognised qualification.
- People employed in the drinks and hospitality sectors with little previous knowledge of alcoholic beverages.
Entry requirements: No prior knowledge is necessary. Candidates should be over 18 years of age to taste wine. (However, this is not a barrier to successful completion of this course).
Course content – The total study time (ie. classroom & private study) is 28 hours. For full course details, download the Specification. Learning outcomes are:
- Understand the environmental influences and grape-growing options in the vineyard and how these will impact the style and quality of wine.
- Understand how winemaking and bottle ageing influence the style and quality of wine.
- Understand how environmental influences, grape-growing options, winemaking and bottle ageing influence the style and quality of wines made from the principal grape varieties.
- Know the style and quality of wines produced from regionally important black and white grape varieties.
- Understand how the production process can influence the styles of sparkling and fortified wines.
- Understand the key principles and processes involved in the storage and service of wine, and in the pairing of food and wine.
Qualification: Qualification is based on passing a paper of 50 multiple-choice questions.
This qualification is accredited at Level 4 in the National Framework Qualification of Ireland, and is recognised as such by the National Qualifications Authority of Ireland.
Venue: Brooks Hotel, Drury St., close to Grafton St.
Cost: €450. Cost includes tuition, wines, full study pack, exam fee, set of DOC tasting glasses. Also included is access to a full set of Quizlet-based revision questions.
Dates & Timing: I’ve added 2 day intensive courses, ideal for time-pressed, or people based outside Dublin. Obviously these are more intensive, so try to choose the course which optimises your schedule & ability.
Next scheduled courses:
- Mon 16 Sept 2019, 6.30-9.15pm, for 6 weeks. Exam on Mon 4th Nov.
- Wed 23rd Oct 2019, 6.30-9.15pm for 6 consecutive weeks. Exam on TUES 3RD DEC @5pm. (please note this is a Tues).
- Mon 21st Oct & Mon 4th Nov 2019, 10am-5pm: 2 day intensive. Exam on Tues 19th Nov @5pm. (this course leads to a WSET Level 2 Wine & Spirits qualification).
- Mon 3rd Feb 2020, 6.30-9.15pm, for 6 weeks. Exam on Mon 9th March.
- Mon 23rd March & Mon 6th April 2020, 10am-5pm: 2 day intensive. Exam on Tues 28th Apr, @5pm.
How to book: places on all courses are limited, and therefore offered on a first-paid basis. Payment is required in order to secure a place. You can book online, using Paypal button, below. If you’d like to pay by a different method, please get in touch, using the contact form, below.
Distance learning: Premier Wine Training offers a distance learning wine course for those who find it difficult to attend a series of classes.
Next level up: WSET Level 3 Award in Wines. (It is recommended, although not mandatory, that candidates should already be at WSET Level 2 standard of knowledge).
Please use the contact form below to get in touch, or request the Terms & Conditions. Alternatively, call me on 086 240 1916.