About WSET Level 2
The Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET®) is the world’ most recognised wine qualification. WSET Level 2 Wines is a beginner’s/intermediate level wine qualification. In this course, you will learn about principal grape varieties and regionally important wines of the world. This is achieved through a combination of theory and wine tasting.
If you want a sound but simple level of wine knowledge, to underpin job skills, in hospitality, wine retail and wholesale sectors, this is the course for you. This WSET qualification gives you confidence in advising people about wines. Whether you are a business or an employee, you will reap the benefit of this investment in wine education. And, if you are a wine enthusiast, it will boost your confidence.
What will I be able to do with my WSET Level 2 Wines Award?
Once you have this Award, you will be able to interpret labels of the major wines of the world. And you will feel more confident describing wines, and giving basic guidance, as well as serving wines. In addition, you will understand the principles of wine tasting and evaluation.
Key Learning outcomes :
- How to taste and describe wine, using WSET’s Systematic Approach to Tasting.
- Understand environmental influences, grape-growing options, winemaking and maturation, and how these impact on the style and quality of 8 key varietals: Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Shiraz.
- Know the style and quality of wines produced from 22 regionally important varietals, from 70 wine regions.
- Understand how varietals and production processes influence the style of sparkling and fortified wines.
- Key labelling terms.
- Principles and processes involved in storage and service of wine
- Principles of food and wine pairing.
Course information: For full course details, download the Specification.
Assessment: Qualification is based on passing an exam containing 50 multiple-choice questions. As well as the traditional paper-based exam, there is an option to take the exam at home, by remote invigilation (RI). A surcharge applies for RI– see below. You should also ensure that you have a reliable internet connection, an additional smart device such as a smartphone or tablet. Ideally your primary device should not be a shared one.
WSET Level 2 course formats & venues
All the formats below include WSET printed materials, exam fees and access to Quizlet revision questions. Wines & glasses are also included in some courses – see below.
Course delivery: Guided learning hours: 16 hours. Private study required: 11 hours.
A) Traditional classroom 6 week traditional classroom (6.30-9.15pm, once per week for 6 weeks). Cost: €550 including all wines, and a set of 6 glasses.
B) Online with live weekly tuition and tasting samples. 6 weeks, all in your own home. This format includes a set of 40 Vinotte® 20ml samples (RRP €170 from Vinovae) and live weekly classes on Zoom. If you miss a class, you can watch a recorded version. Recorded classes, weekly online theory and tasting assessments, with tutor feedback, are all available on Canvas. Canvas is a world-class learning platform, used in over 4,000 educational institutions around the world. Cost €550 (books & wine samples will be sent by post).
C) Blended classroom & online: 6 weeks, including 2 traditional classes (with tasting) in a classroom, focussing on tasting. For all the other weeks, you will have a live Zoom class. Recorded classes are also available on the Canvas learning platform, together with weekly theory and tasting assignments, with tutor feedback. Cost: €465 (Students are expected to buy & taste 5 wines, and submit a tasting note eac week).
D) Intensive 2-day (2 Mondays, 9am-6pm, with 1-2 weeks gap in between). Cost: €550 incl all wines and glasses. Suits people who are time-pressed, or those who have to travel long distances. Obviously these are more intensive, but with the same study commitment, so try to choose the course which optimises your schedule & ability. This format is on hold at the moment.
Venue for classroom-based tuition & exam: The Camden Court Hotel, Camden St., Dublin 2.
WSET Level 2 Course Dates
- Mon 19th Sept 2022: Blended (‘C’ above). 6 weeks. Paper exam on Monday 7th Nov at 7.30pm. Cost €465.
- Mon 19th Sept 2022: Traditional classroom (‘A’ above). 6 weeks. Paper exam on Mon 7th Nov at 6pm. Cost €550.
- Wed 26th Oct 2022: Traditional classroom (‘A’ above). 6 weeks. Paper exam on Tues 6th Dec at 5pm. Cost €550.
- Wed 26th Oct 2022: Online with live weekly tuition and tasting samples (‘B’ above). Places must be booked by Wed 5th Oct, as samples have to be shipped from abroad. Paper exam on Tues 6th Dec at 5pm. Cost €550. (RI exams are held at 7pm; a surcharge applies).
Book your place now
Places on all courses are limited, and therefore offered on a first-paid basis. Payment is required in order to secure a place. You can book online, using Paypal button, below. If you’d like to pay by a different method (eg bank transfer), please get in touch, using the contact form, below.
Entry requirements: No prior knowledge is necessary. Candidates should be over 18 years of age to taste wine. (However, this is not a barrier to successful completion of this course).
IT requirements: To use Canvas (Options B&C), you should have basic computer literacy. A computer is recommended over a smartphone or tablet, and your system should have these requirements.
WSET Level 2 online option
Distance Learning/online wine course: this course can also be completed by distance learning wine course for those who find it difficult to commit to a series of classes.
Next level up
WSET Level 3 Award in Wines. (It is recommended, although not mandatory, that candidates should already be at WSET Level 2 standard of knowledge before starting Level 3).
For more information/ contact form
If you don’t receive a reply within 24 hours, please check your spam filter.