Find out more about WSET Level 2 Wines
The Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET®) is the world’ most recognised wine qualification. WSET Level 2 Wines is a beginner’s/intermediate level wine qualification. In this course, you will learn about principal grape varieties and regionally important wines of the world. This is achieved through a combination of theory and wine tasting.
If you want a sound but simple level of wine knowledge, to underpin job skills, in hospitality, wine retail and wholesale sectors, this is the course for you. This WSET qualification gives you confidence in advising people about wines. Whether you are a business or an employee, you will reap the benefit of this investment in wine education. And, if you are a wine enthusiast, it will boost your confidence.
What will I be able to do with my WSET Level 2 Wines Award?
Once you have this Award, you will be able to interpret labels of the major wines of the world. And you will feel more confident describing wines, and giving basic guidance, as well as serving wines. In addition, you will understand the principles of wine tasting and evaluation.
Key Learning outcomes :
- How to taste and describe wine, using WSET’s Systematic Approach to Tasting.
- Understand environmental influences, grape-growing options, winemaking and maturation, and how these impact on the style and quality of 8 key varietals: Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Shiraz.
- Know the style and quality of wines produced from 22 regionally important varietals, from 70 wine regions.
- Understand how varietals and production processes influence the style of sparkling and fortified wines.
- Key labelling terms.
- Principles and processes involved in storage and service of wine
- Principles of food and wine pairing.
Course information: For full course details, download the Specification.
Assessment: Qualification is based on passing an exam containing 50 multiple-choice questions. As well as the traditional paper-based exam, there is an option to take the exam at home, by remote invigilation (RI). A surcharge applies for RI– see below. You should also ensure that you have a reliable internet connection, an additional smart device such as a smartphone or tablet (unshared).
WSET Level 2 Wines: formats & venue
All the formats below include WSET printed materials, exam fees, set of tasting glasses, access to Quizlet revision questions.
Course delivery: Guided learning hours: 16 hours. Private study required: 11 hours.
A) Traditional classroom 6 week traditional classroom (6.30-9.15pm, once per week for 6 weeks). Cost: €570.
B) Intensive 2-day (2 Mondays, 10am-6pm, with 1-2 weeks gap in between). Cost: €570. Please note that this is intensive; it is designed for those who are time-pressed, or those who have to travel long distances. Please choose the course which optimises your schedule & ability.
Venue: The Camden Court Hotel, Camden St., Dublin 2.
WSET Level 2 Wines: Dates & Book now!
- Mon 18th Sep 2023: Traditional classroom (‘A’ above). 6 weeks (6.30-9.15pm). Paper exam on Tues 7th Nov at the earlier time of 5.30pm. ++THIS COURSE IS NOW FULL++
- Mon 13th & 27th Nov 2 day intensive (‘B’ above). Exam on Tues 5th Dec at 5pm. Cost €570.
Places on all courses are limited, and therefore offered on a first-paid basis. Payment is required in order to secure a place. You can book online, using Paypal button, below. If you’d like to pay by a different method (eg bank transfer), please get in touch, using the contact form, below.
Entry requirements: No prior knowledge is necessary. Candidates should be over 18 years of age to taste wine. (However, this is not a barrier to successful completion of this course).
WSET Level 2 Wines: you can study online!
Distance Learning/online wine course: this course can also be completed by distance learning wine course for those who find it difficult to commit to a series of classes.
What’s next, after WSET Level 2?
WSET Level 3 Award in Wines. Candidates should already be at WSET Level 2 standard of knowledge before starting Level 3).
Contact me for more information
If you don’t receive a reply within 24 hours, please check your spam filter.