Premier Wine Training offers WSET Level 1 Wine as an online wine course, for candidates who can’t attend regular classes, but want a recognised wine qualification. WSET was established in 1969, and it is now it is the global leader in wine education.
This course suits wine enthusiasts and those working in their first role in the wine trade who wish to gain a recognised wine qualification. No prior knowledge is required.
What will I know after taking this course?
This level assumes you know nothing abut wine, and have never drank wine. After taking this course, you will have basic product knowledge and skills in serving wines. So, you will be competent in selling and serving wine in wholesale, restaurants, bars, stores, or in communications.
- The main types and styles of wine
- Common wine grapes and their characteristics
- How to pair food and wine
- How to store and serve wine
- How to describe wine using the WSET Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® (SAT)
Course information: for full details of course content and learning outcomes, download the WSET L1 Wines Specification 2021.
How does the online course work?
- You receive your textbook by post.
- You can view webinars each week, at your convenience
- You take weekly quizzes, and complete tasting assignments
- Your tutor gives you feedback
Technology requirements: To use the Online Classroom, we recommend that you use a laptop or desktop device and have a reliable internet connection. To sit your examination online you will also need one additional smart device such as a smartphone or tablet. It is recommended that you don’t use a shared device for your exam.
Recommended Private Study: 3 hours per week, for each of 4 weeks, plus revision time, is recommended for this course. You are expected to keep up on a weekly basis with assignments and quizzes.
Exam: The exam consists of a 30 multiple-choice questions in 45 minutes. You need to achieve 70% to pass. You can now take your exam online, so you don’t need to wait, or travel to complete your qualification. A computer exam requires a personal computer (ie unshared), reliable internet connection and a second device with a camera (eg smartphone).
Details: cost, dates, book online
Cost: €185. This includes your textbook, exam fee, online course materials, and online computer-based exam with remote invigilation. Tasting is also an important part of this course, and you will need to taste a minimum of six wines (not provided as part of the cost, but you will be given guidance on the styles to taste).
- Mon 20 Feb 2023. Computer exam on Mon 27th March @7.45pm; paper exam on Monday 27th March (7.45pm), at the Camden Court Hotel, Dublin 2.