About WSET Level 2
The Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET®) is the world’ most recognised wine qualification. WSET Level 2 Wines is a beginner’s/intermediate level wine qualification. In this course, you will learn about principal grape varieties and regionally important wines of the world. This is achieved through a combination of theory and wine tasting.
If you want a sound but simple level of wine knowledge, to underpin job skills, in hospitality, wine retail and wholesale sectors, this is the course for you. This WSET qualification gives you confidence in advising people about wines. Whether you are a business or an employee, you will reap the benefit of this investment in wine education. And, if you are a wine enthusiast, it will boost your confidence.
This online course suits people who can’t commit to travelling to classes, or committing on a weekly basis.
What will I be able to do with my WSET Level 2?
Once you have this Award, you will be able to interpret labels of the major wines of the world. And you will feel more confident describing wines, and giving basic guidance, as well as serving wines. In addition, you will understand the principles of wine tasting and evaluation.
Key Learning outcomes :
- How to taste and describe wine, using WSET’s Systematic Approach to Tasting.
- Understand environmental influences, grape-growing options, winemaking and maturation, and how these impact on the style and quality of 8 key varietals: Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Shiraz.
- Know the style and quality of wines produced from 22 regionally important varietals, from 70 wine regions.
- Understand how varietals and production processes influence the style of sparkling and fortified wines.
- Key labelling terms.
- Principles and processes involved in storage and service of wine
- Principles of food and wine pairing.
Course information: For full course details, download the Specification.
How does the online WSET course work?
- Study materials: these are sent by post.
- Online study: 5 weeks duration. You can participate in online lessons, activities, tests and forums with your fellow classmates. You have a dedicated online tutor who is available to answer your questions during the course. Classes are asynchronous; you can study any time of the week you like. However, you are expected to keep up on a weekly basis. Access to WSET’s Online Classroom is valid for 1 year.
- Enhanced features include revision videos, flash cards and exam tips.
- Wines: you are expected to taste 14 wines. These are not included in the price.
- Assessment: Qualification is based on passing an exam containing 50 multiple-choice questions. As well as the traditional paper-based exam, there is an option to take the exam at home, by remote invigilation (RI).
Recommended Private Study: 6 hours per week, for each of 5 weeks, totalling 30 hours private study is recommended for this course.
Technology requirements: to use the online learning platform, you should have basic computer literacy. A personal computer is recommended over a smartphone or tablet, and your system should have these requirements. For the RI exam, you will need a personal computer (ie unshared), a reliable internet connection, and a second device with a camera.
Entry requirements: No prior knowledge is necessary. Candidates should be over 18 years of age to taste wine. (However, this is not a barrier to successful completion of this course).
Course cost, dates & booking:
Cost: €440, which includes textbook, online access, and paper exam. (€475 if you choose a computer RI exam. This is more expensive since every exam has to be invigilated separately).
Please note that candidates must be fully paid & registered, 10 working days in advance of the start date. Class sizes are limited, so please book early to avoid disappointment.
- Mon 18th Sept; Exam on Tues 7th Nov: computer RI at 19.00; paper exam at 17.30 at the Camden Court Hotel. +++REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED FOR THIS COURSE+++
- Mon 30 Oct; Exam on Tues 5th Dec: computer RI at 19.00; paper exam at 17.00 at the Camden Court Hotel.
If you don’t receive a reply within 24 hours, please check your spam filter.